The word Virtuous means being upright and trustworthy. It is also having in a good and moral way while woman simply means a feminism or female human being.
Therefore a virtuous woman is an excellent woman, one who is spiritually capable, intelligent, vibrant and strong. According to the bible, it is only found in three places in the bible.
It is referenced once in the book of Ruth (3:11) how a brave widow sacrifices her own well being and prosperity to take care of her mother-in-law. As she goes out on a limb to provide for her family, her kindness, generosity, and faith in the face of adversities are valued and earn her the title woman of excellence.
Again in the book of Proverbs 12:4, it described a virtuous woman as an excellent wife and the crown of her husband.
Thirdly, the book of Proverbs 31:10-31 also described virtuous woman as trustworthy, encouraging, works diligently, strong and well prepared.
So when one asked who is a virtuous woman, it is well understood that a virtuous woman is a great extent woman, a hard worker who understands that her husband and children have not been well fed. She posses not only the necessary cooking skills, but she knows all about nutrition and as well ensures that her family is fed healthy.
She does not sleep in the morning but rises while it is yet night to prepare breakfast. She works willingly with her hands giving the fruit of her hands, she does not grumble while completing her tasks. She is also full of energy and does not know what the idleness is.
A virtuous woman also engages herself in skill acquisition that would make her be a self-employed woman to enable her to pay attention to her family all the time. She does not demand too much money all the time, she understands when her husband is buoyant and when he is not.
FIVE WAYS TO BE A VIRTUOUS WOMAN
- You should obey the word of God: A virtuous woman obeys the word of God. She shall take the things of God serious wherever she is. She will understand that the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of Joint and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart: (Hebrews 4:12). Therefore, a Virtuous woman does not only listen to the word of God but act, behave and exemplifying herself as a child of God.
- You should be prayerful: A Virtuous woman prays. She prays without leasing, she follows where Jesus leads and retreats to a desolate place to pray. By prayer and supplication with thanksgiving. (Philippians 4:6). When suffering and the burden of this World become too much to bear, the virtuous woman knows that “The Spirit helps us in our weakness and the grace of God is made sufficient in all our endeavours.”
- You must live with the community of people: A virtuous woman lives in the community. A virtuous woman enjoys being an integral part of the church, she understands that we are to be devoted to the fellowship of the body. She is also willing to live out the command to be one another burdens. (Galatians 6:2) which says, “Carry each other’s burdens and in this way, you will fulfil the law of Christ.”
- You must be a servant: A virtuous woman serves others. A virtuous woman believes service follows the fear of the Lord your God with all heart and with all your soul and with all your Mind. Which also days love your neighbour as yourself and desires to live them out Mathew 22:37-39.
- You must cling to the Gospel: A virtuous woman clings to the gospel. A virtuous woman understands that she is a sinner, simply saved by the grace of Jesus Christ. There is no magic formula, but only faith. Faith in Christ creates the virtuous woman. She knows that Jesus’ life, death, burial and resurrection not only saves her from eternity in hell, but it is the sustaining grace that furthers her sanctification (Romans 10:9-13).
Finally, a Virtuous woman clings to the gospel, she fears the Lord. She sees the depth of her sin, and how it is covered as an Ocean of unmerited grace. And that leads her to Joyful praises.