Food poisoning is the illness caused by the consumption of food or water contaminated with bacteria, virus, chemicals and parasites. It can also a contaminated food that can be caused during its production, processing or cooking.it can be avoided by maintaining high standard of personal food hygiene when storing, handling or preparing the food.it may be related only to the gastrointestinal tracts causing vomiting, diarrhea or organ problem such as kidney ,muscle or brain.
Common foods poisoning that are dangerous in the body
- Salmonella: eggs –
Keep raw poultry eggs separate from cooked poultry eggs because of bacteria can taint any food or eggs in the poultry through feces from the chickens.it can infect eggs before the shell forms, so even clean, fresh eggs may harbor salmonella.
- Salmonella: processed foods like peanut butter, chips, may pose a slight risk for salmonella infection that can cause bacteria or virus in the peanut butter due to outbreak or broken of the peanut bottle. Never use a product that has been recalled or broken, return it immediately or throw it away to prevent bacterial infection in the body.
- Salmonella :Raw meat-
Raw meat particularly ground meat is at risk for bacterial infection and can’t tell the food is contaminated because it looks good and smell normal .cooked beef, pork or lamb at least 145f,avoid cross-contamination by washing hands with warm soapy water after washing the raw meat.
- Fresh produce food like vegetables ,fruits can be tainted with E coil if the fertilizer or water used to grow them carries bacteria, separate individually by washing the leaves and cook them very well to kill the germs and bacteria.
- Canned foods or preserved foods is at risk as well as cured meat, smoked or salted fish and honey is not good for babies because babies have the highest risk of getting sick by vomiting, weakness, breathing fast, it can cause them food poisoning to them. Never give children under 12months honey, bulging cans, sterilize home canned foods by cooking at 250F or 30minutes before giving them.
- Listeria foods like hotdogs should be cooked at least 165F before eating to prevent bacteria but if kept in a counter where raw foods and meat are kept it can be contaminated by it.
- Ciguatera poisoning like fish that have consumed some types of sea algae develop from eating reef fish which can cause so many symptoms in your body by vomiting, diarrhea, temperature reversal.
How to prevent food poisoning
- Leftover food should be refrigerated immediately to prevent bacteria and virus.
- Wash fruits and vegetables well before eating to prevent pesticides, chemicals, infectious agents.
- Wash hands routinely before and after handling food.
- Make certain food to be thoroughly cooked especially meats.
- Those undergoing chemotherapy and pregnant women should avoid eating soft cheeses like camembert, brie to prevent listeria.
- Foods should be cooked thoroughly especially eggs, meat, chicken to prevent food poisoning.