THE PUBLISHER OF EVERGREEN NEWSPAPER AND ONLINE MEDIA, REV. ENGR. EMMANUEL NWAEZE, ACCOMPANIED BY REGIONAL EDITOR DR KELLY IHETU AND SENIOR REPORTER MBAOMA CHISOM WITH CREW MEMBERS VISITED HONORABLE DECLAN EMELUMBA, (COMMISSIONER FOR INFORMATION IMO STATE) AT HIS OFFICE, STATE SECERTARITE, NEW OWERRI, IMO STATE, NIGERIA AT 11:00 AM GMT +1.
Within the interview, HONORABLE DECLAN EMELUMBA bared his thoughts on the achievement of the government within this hundred days in office.
FIRST HUNDRED DAYS IN OFFICE, THE GOVERNMENT HAS DONE GREAT
…HONORABLE DECLAN EMELUMBA
- Sir, can we meet you officially?
Ans: My name is honourable Declan Emelumba I’m from Orlu West L.G.A in Imo state and right now am the commissioner for information in Imo state.
- Sir, can you tell us about the activities of your ministry with regards to information dissemination in Imo state?
Ans: The main function of my ministry is to disseminate information about the activities of the government and to promote the government, to defend the government, and ensure that the government is not painted in a bad light.
- Honourable commissioner sir, can you highlight the giant strides of this government within his first 100days
Ans: The government has done quite a lot of things within this 100days in office. Which are:-
- The government has sanitized the payment system particularly the civil servant and local government pension. When the government came in there were lots of issue about payment, discrepancies in the pay row and lots of fraud.
We have more people in the pension payroll who receive 100 thousand and above than others who receive maybe below 30 thousand were by those who receive fat salary were more in number which is an anomaly because I haven’t seen those who are in top position are more than the junior staff.
The last 10years the nominal payroll of pension for pensioners in Imo state has remained at 30 thousand does it mean that nobody has died within 10years or no new retirement has taken place. There were lots of anomalies the government has rectified in the process of doing that the government has saved up to 2 billion which will be able to use and settle other official duties.
- Work is ongoing in state secretariat offices, restoration of water and light, also at Government House proper renovation is almost completed and habitable.
This year the government has a target of 5billion IGR making sure that oil companies and Telecommunication companies are captured in the revenue base of the state, and that way it will increase the revenue generation of the state.
In the payment of tax, the government has sorted out a lot of inconsistencies associated with tax evasion
- The idea of public water has been restored in Imo state because for long there hasn’t been public water but with the help of our new government public water has been restored and it will continue to run.
- Adapalm has been on lockdown for 8-15 years now but with the determination of our new government Adapalm is functioning now, producing 10 tons of palm oil daily.
- Most importantly when the next rain comes there won’t be a flood in Owerri because the government has made a neat assessment and distilled the blocked underground drains in line with the master plan of Mbakwe which has been ignored for many years, so they rectified 6 of them which he has worked on and soon there won’t flood in Imo state.
- The issue of payslip has been rectified. The government has established a data centre online where civil servants can see the details of their payment and receive their payslip to avoid fraud, to know what they are paid every month.
- The government has provided official cars for permanent secretaries and the cars have since been delivered to them and are in use right now. And many other achievements which the government has done.
- Finally sir, any plans on poverty eradication and plans on carrying the youths along?
Ans: The government has provided youth empowerment which helps skill acquisition. Over 500 hundred youth who are graduate has been selected to learn skills and be able to establish their own business through government assistance. Which also will help to eradicate poverty.